I have worked as an educator in Oakland for four decades: in OUSD as a Teacher, Principal, Administrator, School Board Member and Interim Superintendent; at Holy Names University as a Professor; and at Peralta Colleges as Vice Chancellor. Currently, I volunteer as an Adult English as a Second Language teacher at Primera Iglesia Presbiteriana Hispana de Oakland.
I love Oakland. I was born here, educated here, and raised a family here. Together with my late wife, Caroline, we took them to their neighborhood schools growing up. We have lived in East Oakland, West Oakland, Chinatown, Fruitvale and Montclair. My mother was a cafeteria worker and school secretary and my grandchildren attend OUSD public schools in their neighborhood. Since my grandparents immigrated to America, five generations have called Oakland their home.
Measure N. Co-chaired the Measure N, College and Career for All parcel tax initiative in 2014, which integrates hands-on, career technical education into rigorous academic classes in all of our high schools. The dramatic gains in high school graduation this year have been attributed to this significant investment in our high school youth.
Interim Superintendent. In 2013-14 answered the call of the Board to un-retire in order to maintain continuity during a superintendent transition. Worked with the Board of Education to significantly reduce our chronic fiscal audit findings, balance the budget, and meet its policy goal of a 3% reserve for economic uncertainty. Worked with our unions to eliminate several unfair aspects of school budgeting and build a fairer medical benefits package.
Peralta Colleges Vice Chancellor. Secured a California Career Pathways Trust grant for Alameda County and Southern Contra Costa County, which provided $15 million over three years for integrating high school and community college innovations in career education. This grant set the stage for later application of dual enrollment and Linked Learning Academies.
OUSD District Four School Board Member and President. Secured bond funds to complete the demolition of Montclair’s decrepit portables and replace them with a modern and expanded educational center. Completed a long-delayed renovation of Horace Mann School. Brought the first State Pre-K program, complete with a new facility, to Fruitvale School. Drafted the Diverse Provider framework, now incorporated into the Quality School Development policy, and the neighborhood priority School Enrollment Policy. Led the exit from State Administration and a return to local control.
- Ed.D., Administration and Policy Analysis Stanford University
- M.Public Admin. and Teaching Credential, California State University Hayward
- Bachelor of Arts, Philosophy, University of California, Berkeley
- Graduate, Castlemont High School, Frick Junior High and Markham Elementary
- Interim Superintendent, School Board Member, Principal, Teacher: Oakland Unified School District
- Vice Chancellor, Educational Services, Dean of Instruction: Peralta Community Colleges
- Associate Professor and Chair, Education Department: Holy Names University
- Executive Director: Oakland Education Cabinet and Safe Passages Initiative
- Associate Professor, Educational Leadership: St. Mary’s College
- Assistant Professor, Educational Leadership: Boston College
- Elder and Deacon, College Avenue Presbyterian Church, Fruitvale Presbyterian Church, First Presbyterian Church Berkeley
- Advisory Board, SOAR for Youth
- Board of Directors, Linked Learning Alliance
- Board of Directors, Faith Network of the East Bay
- Board of Directors, East Bay Asian Youth Center
- Board of Directors, Harbor House of Oakland
- Board of Directors, United Administrators of the Oakland Schools (AFL-CIO)